Johnny’s Videos

Search Johnny's Blog

Friday, May 6, 2011

Swimming with Manatees



Swimming With Manatees...
The truth is that all I can say is that it was just an amazing experience. But you also have to keep in mind that manatees are actually an endangered species! Plus, the saddest part is that some "swimming with manatees" programs take about 30 people on one small boat. And once they find a manatee the 30 or more people jump in the water and crowd on one poor manatee! But the good thing is that the government has constructed new laws and here are some of them:

1- You are not allowed to splash or kick when you are swimming with a manatee.
2- You cannot hit or punch a manatee.
3- You are not allowed to reach out to a manatee and pet it if it does not come near you.

And...

100- You cannot chase or follow a manatee.
101- Do not scream, shout or annoy the manatee.

If you think that the rules are strict you should see the rest. If you do not follow the rules they give you very expensive fines to pay, for example $ 50,000 .
It was the first time I ever saw a manatee for real. The manatee that I saw was huge and the weird part was that it was just a baby! I got to touch the manatee since it came near me, it was such an amazing and beautiful creature. I just hope that they never become extinct.

2 comments:

  1. What an experience! I bet not many boys have met a manatee! Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of this world, this is one of my dreams. I hope one day it will come true. Yes, you are lucky...

    ReplyDelete